Education With a Purpose: A Blog About Trade Schools

Education With a Purpose: A Blog About Trade Schools

What To Expect During Your Heavy Vehicle Licence Training

Irene Tucker

To drive heavy vehicles in Australia, you need to get an additional heavy vehicle licence, beside the standard class C licence. These heavy vehicle licences are offered by state transport authorities. However, to qualify for these licences, you first need to undertake the requisite training. This training is available at any registered training institution (RTO) in your state. There, you will receive instructions on how to handle a heavy vehicle of the particular vehicle class you intend to get a licence for.

If you are planning to undertake such training in order to get your heavy vehicle licence, this article will brief you on what to expect:

What does one need in order to enroll?

To get started, you will need to provide the following at your training centre:

  1. Identification  (Australian ID or passport)
  2. Prerequisite DL  (for HR classes and above, you'll need a minimum of LR or LR licence)
  3. Course fee
  4. Learner log book
  5. USI (universal student identifier) – applicable since January 2015

What courses are offered?

Most heavy vehicle training centers offer courses on the 5 major heavy vehicle classes. These are:

  1. Light rigid (LR)
  2. Medium rigid (MR)
  3. Heavy rigid (HR)
  4. Heavy combination (HC)
  5. Multi-combination (MC)

How long does the training take?

Heavy vehicle training lessons do not take long. On average, most students take 2-3 days. However, one can apply to receive classes for whatever extended duration they wish. Some training schools allow unlimited class lessons.

How are courses conducted?

Once you enroll, you will be taught both theoretical and practical lessons on how to handle the particular heavy vehicle class you have signed up for. Your progress will be noted in the learner hand book as your progress

Theory lessons are taught indoors in groups. Practical driving lessons are taught individually or in small groups. You may also be required to obtain learning materials; hardcopy books, online information, and downloadable soft copy books.

When are lessons offered?

Lessons are held on weekdays, after hours, and even weekends. This, however, differs from each training school to the next.

Who conducts the training?

All training is conducted by registered licensed instructors who hold an equivalent, or higher, licence for the particular vehicle you are being instructed on.

What exactly will one be taught?

These lessons will touch on these topics:

  • Starting and stopping
  • Turning and roundabouts
  • Reversing
  • Attaching trailers
  • Parking
  • Safety - securing your cargo, load assessment, pre-drive checks, etc.

To get started, you will first have to make a license application at a transport service centre in your state. There you will be required to take a knowledge test, fill an application form, and provide some documentation (identification and driver's licence).


2023© Education With a Purpose: A Blog About Trade Schools
About Me
Education With a Purpose: A Blog About Trade Schools

Hello and welcome to my blog. My name is Jenny, and I went to uni to study literature and philosophy when I was eighteen. I loved those topics and still do, but there was always a part of me that was not fulfilled in those classes. Ultimately, I decided to drop out, and I enrolled in trade school. I love working with my hands, and as an intuitive empath, I also love spending time with others. I studied the art of makeup design and hair, and now, I have a job that I love every day. At night, I go home and devour philosophy. I think there are a lot of myths about trade schools so I decided to start a blog to spread more facts.